Thursday 5 October 2017

Things I've Learned Since Being At University

Who'd have ever thought I'd be here, sat in my room in the halls of residence typing a blog post about my university experience? As someone who could never see themselves at university, yet alone enjoying it, I can tell you that I've learned a lot about myself, and in general, from my experience so far. So in case someone out there is interested, this is what I've learned in the week and four days I've been a student in Liverpool:

  • It's actually quite difficult understanding different accents- Like seriously! Even though I've met a couple of people from the West Midlands, there are a lot of Northern Irish people studying at my university, as well as the obvious Scouse. I'm finding myself embarrassingly having to ask people to talk slower, or repeat themselves so I can understand the Northern dialect. And what I find even funnier to get my head around is that people can't understand ME! Like I never knew how obvious my Brummie accent was to non-Midlanders, but people can spot I'm from Birmingham a mile away. Here's me thinking I have a neutral accent that everyone can understand...


  • Organisation and Time Management- Since I've moved out, I don't have my mum to wake me up in the mornings when I over sleep. The scary thing is, it's all up to me. But so far I've done pretty well; I've got all my work done for classes in time, I've made time to cook for myself, do my own washing and most importantly have a social life.

  • How to get on with a range of people- There are such a wide range of personalities and people from all over the country, and even world here. I used to be such a shy person, but I haven't found myself nervous to talk to anyone yet so far. Of course not everyone gets on with everyone, especially when you're living and studying with people 24/7. Luckily, the people on my course and in my flat are absolutely lovely though.

Me when I'm wondering why I keep bumping into the same people,
and then realizing I actually live with people from my uni now

  • I have no money- This is honestly the tragic one! My student loan barely covers shit so I'm basically using all my life savings in the world to buy groceries. Is bread even worth it though?
Me looking in my purse for bus change

  • How to do washing- Even though I've washed my clothes by myself before, I completely forgot how to properly do it when I got here. Like what colours can you mix together, can you put jumpers and bed sheets together? Who knows?! Luckily though, I've sussed how to stick a wash on, as well as how to pay for a wash in the launderette on my campus. 


  • I can actually fall asleep anywhere, anytime- I used to be the fussiest sleeper ever; I wouldn't be able to sleep unless it was silent and pitch black. But now I've just got used to doors slamming, and people shouting outside my window. The only thing I haven't been able to sleep through yet is the fire alarm when people set it off by drunkenly cooking pizza at 5am...


  • I can't hack going out every night- I used to pride myself on being such a party animal and would go out literally every single time someone asked me to. But Thursday in fresher's week I had to tap out, I literally was so knackered. Now I equally appreciate a night in bed watching Netflix and a night hitting the town. Who am I?!


  • I don't care if I look a mess- I never used to think I could leave the house without winged eyeliner. But the states my hangovers have left me in has left me to not care how I look. Like, I'd rather stay in bed until 10 minutes before my lecture starts, than get up to do my contour. But this has left everyone on my course to see the real me... the spotty mess with huge bags under my eyes. 


So since this week and a bit that I've been a student I've literally become a whole new person. I'm still tying to figure out if that's for better or worse. But you know what I'm coping. The song of the day is Africa by Toto because my flat won't stop singing it lol! Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a lovely week!

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment