Sunday 6 December 2015

Blogmas Day 6: A German Christmas Tradition

For those of you who didn't know, my Mum is German meaning that I was raised with a few German Traditions. One of those is St Nicolas day.


On the 6th of December, Germany (and a few other countries I think) celebrate St Nicolas day. This is the feast day of Saint Nicholas, the bringer of gifts. On the night of the 5th of December, children will leave their boots and stockings out, and in the night St Nicholas will come and fill them with gifts, usually chocolates and sweets, as long as they have been good and polite. 



 I was lucky enough to wake up to my boots being very generously filled this morning. Either I was well behaved this year, or St Nicholas just wants me to get fat. Either way I'm happy and very thankful for what I've received :)

So I hope you've enjoyed learning about this little tradition that my family follows. I know this post was short and sweet (if you'll pardon the pun) but I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless. Happy St Nicholas day to everyone, even if you don't celebrate it. The song of the day is Run To You by Brian Adams because I let my mum pick it! What traditions do you have at this time of year, let me know in the comments,

Izzy K xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment